How was the partion wiped clean?

Awestruck 21:10 21 Jun 2007

I was called out to to diagnose a computer which would not even begin to load windows. It halted at a message saying that C:\windows\system32\hal.dll was corrupt or missing.
The same thing occured in safe mode. The Hard drive had been oddly partitioned with a tiny C: and a huge D: partition which had contained the OS (XP Professional)and all my clients data and programs.
Using either a DOS emergency disk or the XP installation CD I could access both partitions but the D: partition was completely empty, no folders no files.
The C; partition contained a few files and a duff rescue program.
What could wipe a partition so cleanly without my client noticing a great deal of disk activity?

He was meticulous about updating his anti-virus and his two anti-spy programs. He is naturally paranoid about the problem re-occurring after I re-install his OS, his applications and his data.
If I could understand what could have wiped his partition I could help him take extra precautions, any suggestions please?

Regards

Awestruck

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 21 Jun 2007

Guess is he hit a key combination at startup to initiate the recovery to factory settings.

This would format the partition and reinstall from a compressed image (the duff C).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone