How to use Remote Assistance using XP

Graham. 22:05 15 Sep 2006

I usually use Windows Messenger, both parties must have a .Net passport. I understand you can use XP facilities instead.

STREETWORK 22:10 15 Sep 2006

er..clarification needed here to assist...

Graham. 22:16 15 Sep 2006

Question inspired by click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:03 15 Sep 2006

To use Remote Assistance, you will need:

Two computers running Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition. The computer receiving assistance and the computer providing assistance must both run Windows XP.

Both computers must be connected via a network or the Internet.

Windows Messenger must be installed on both computers.

To invite a coworker to help you via Remote Assistance

1.Click Start, click Help and Support, and then click Invite a friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance. This is located under the Ask for assistance heading.

2.Click Invite someone to help you, and then select Save Invitation as a file.

3.Enter your name, and then choose a time on the Set the Invitation to Expire drop down box, (the default is 1 hour). Click Continue.

4.Type in a password and then click Save Invitation. The Save File dialog box appears. Save the file in the My Documents folder as shown below.

5.Open the My Documents folder, select the invitation file, and then click E-mail this file.

6.Enter the address of your coworker and send the e-mail. Your coworker will receive an e-mail message.

7.After sending the e-mail, you will need to inform your coworker of the password. You can do this in a separate e-mail, over the telephone, or any way that is convenient and secure.

Your coworker can follow these steps to accept your invitation and start helping you.

To accept a Remote Assistance invitation

1.Open the e-mail message, and then open the attached Remote Assistance Invitation file. The Remote Assistance Invitation box appears as shown below.

Help and Support Services Dialog

2.Enter the password and click Yes.

3.The Attempting to Start Remote Assistance Session box appears. You can begin Remote Assistance as explained in the previous section, Using Remote Assistance Via Instant Messaging.
Sending a file

During a Remote Assistance session, you can send files from your computer to the remote computer. For example, you may send a file that is needed to fix a problem on the remote computer. This requires action by both parties, the helper who sends the file and the requestor who must accept it and save it.

To send a file when helping someone via Remote Assistance

1.In the chat dialog box, click Send a File, and then type the file path or click Browse as shown below.

2.Select the file and click Send File.

To receive and save a file from someone who is helping you via Remote Assistance

1.When you receive notification that someone is sending you a file, click Save as, as shown below.

Choose a folder in which to save the file. Note that you can also decline to receive the file by clicking Cancel.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:04 15 Sep 2006
  Dipso 00:53 16 Sep 2006

:)

Graham. 08:17 16 Sep 2006

Thanks for that. It will save my friends the trouble of signing up for a .net passport.

Monoux 08:43 16 Sep 2006

bookmark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone