How to use Regseeker?

hiwatt 17:58 09 Jul 2008

Hi folks,I only usually use the clean the registry option but I had a look in installed applications under application settings and there are numerous entries from old programs I uninstalled a long time ago.When I click on them it opens up registry editor.Does anyone know the best(safest way)to get rid of these?Thanks.

crosstrainer 18:04 09 Jul 2008

Regseeker is a good utility, but can be a bit aggressive. If you are not familiar with the registry, don't delete things. You can really mess things up.

Ccleaner is more gentle and the registry cleaner gives you a good look at what you are deleting, and the option to backup the registry prior to deletion.

click here

hiwatt 19:42 09 Jul 2008

Thanks crosstrainer.I use ccleaner regulary.I was just wondering if I could delete these entries.There's lots of stuff there from programs I uninstalled yonks ago and was just wondering why they were still there under application settings?Thanks.

crosstrainer 06:57 10 Jul 2008

It's because many software companies seem incapable of writing a good uninstall routine. If these programmes are not longer on your PC, delete them.

I have 0 bad entries in my registry, and keep it that way by using regseeker and ccleaner. There are a couple that are identified as old which are not, but they are obvious as they relate to games which should not really run under Vista, but which I have tweaked.

As long as you back up the registry prior to deleting you should be fine.

Lot's of old redundant entries slows down you pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?