How to use Compressed air can on laptop?

buel 07:48 28 Mar 2010

Hello, im sorry for this seemingly silly question but please can someone confirm the correct way to use a can of compressed air to clean dust from a laptop fan? the 2 things i need to know are:
1, Is it just a case of blowing into the air vents or do i have to take any casing off?

2, last time i used a can of compressed air, a little bit of moisture came out and the laptop hissed a little as the moisture hit a hot part of the laptop(it was switched off!), why would moisture come out of the can please?

mooly 08:07 28 Mar 2010

The moisture was probably the compressed liquid in the can. If you invert the can and spray it can be used as freezer.
Some cans are designed to be used at any angle and others not.
The "liquid" used to be HFC134 (the stuff used in aircon systems and freezers etc) one reason why the stuff has gone sky high in price... it's damaging to the environment. Don't know if it still is.

Trouble with compressed air is it blow the dirt everywhere. I much prefer a small brush and vacuum for anything like that.

buel 08:50 28 Mar 2010

Thank you for that Mooly! Yes i thought that about blowing the dirt everywhere! So do you open the case when you use the brush?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:48 28 Mar 2010

click here;wp_body

video

buel 11:04 28 Mar 2010

Thank you Fruit Bat, so with a laptop, as opposed to a PC, shall i take the bottom cover/casing off then?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 28 Mar 2010

Sorry I should have read the post fully, missed the word laptop :0)

I wouldn't take a laptop apart unless you are very confident.

To clean a laptop just use a vacuum cleaner against the grills on the laptop to suck all the dirt and grime out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 28 Mar 2010
  buel 11:18 28 Mar 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat, dont apologise, you've helped me out soooo many times in the past, you have been brilliant!
Yes i've always wanted to use a vacuum to suck it all away but have always been a bit scared to!
I notice in the first link you sent they quoted:

you might be tempted to stick a vacuum-cleaner hose inside and suck out the dust. Don't. Vacuums create static electricity, which is deadly to sensitive electronic components.

What do you think?
Ps- i have a Dyson too and they are very powerful!

User-312386 11:30 28 Mar 2010

When using a hoover, try and hold the fan with a matchstick or small implement, so the fan does not spin. A hoover can make the fans spin faster than recommended and damage the bearings!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 28 Mar 2010

Vacuums create static electricity, which is deadly to sensitive electronic components.

This is if you have the nozzle of the cleaner close to a component (as in a couple of millimetres)

If you are sucking through the grills then no problem.

northumbria61 12:17 28 Mar 2010

In the case of a can of compressed air you have to hold the can upright otherwise you will get moisture coming out instead of air.

As an alternative you could use a Computer Powered Vacuum Cleaner (via USB) It would be safer and wouldn't "break the Bank"

click here

There are cheaper alternatives - but they usually fall apart. Depends on how much cleaning you do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone