How to use the c prompt

ened 14:49 05 Mar 2006

I wanted to delete a stubborn avi file.
One of the options suggested by the Forum was to effectively go into the dos prompt.

However I kept getting File not Found/ bad instruction etc.

I know it is to do with spaces but do not understand the principle.

The directory tree is something like this:
My Docs/ened/vids/name of file.

Could some kind person please give me the commands to enable me to do this myself next time (I removed it by another method on this occasion)

BurrWalnut 15:08 05 Mar 2006

At the prompt, type del c:\my docs\ened\vids\ followed by the filename with its extension, e.g. myvideo.avi and press enter.

Note, you are using forward slash in your post, when it should be backslash.

Diemmess 15:20 05 Mar 2006

A simple question with a complex answer!

Quote -[The directory tree is something like this: My Docs/ened/vids/name of file]End quote

If you can find your own way to a DOS screen with "the C prompt" you should see on the bottom after any other text - C:>

This is a good start!

Type the path of the file with the exact names of the folders just as before BUT in your example you have used switches by typing / forward slash as they say on the Beeb.
Use this format instead. A back slash.
My Docs\ened\vids\name of file

There are other troubles to contend with like long filenames, always abreviated in DOS when the name exceeds 8 characters.

In fact if you go a long way round unsure of the proper path, you can start at the C: prompt simply type DIR and Enter, to see a list of all folders and files in the root folder.

Now to change "Directories" to say My Docs, type
CD My Docs - and Enter.
The cursor will now be at the C:\My Docs> position, though I'm not sure about spaces in DOS which might need an underscore instead of a space. Type DIR again and you should see all files and folders in this one.

This could go on and I'm on dodgy ground with a fading memory, but you can see this is logical, precise, but no way fast.

VoG II 15:20 05 Mar 2006

click here is easier.

ened 15:36 05 Mar 2006

Thanks for your quick replies.

ened 15:39 05 Mar 2006

"This could go on and I'm on dodgy ground with a fading memory"

Ditto - hence the thread!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?