How to uninstall Win XP Pro from D drive

Cindylou 22:43 17 Mar 2006

Can anyone out there tell me step by step to uninstall Windows XP Pro from my D drive? I have recently upgraded from Win ME to Win XP Pro on my C drive. However, there were a few issues, namely Internet Explorer would not load properly after the upgrade. After having used a PCWorld disc to install the correct version of Explorer, I found I could not boot up and I had no end of trouble till I found out how to using ASR.Anyhow, after that I decided to put Windows XP on my D drive for a while to see how everything would go, but now find there is no uninstall for Win XP on it.So how does one go about it? I have all my backups on this drive plus photos etc. I do have some of them on CD as I don't have a DVD burner but do have a CD burner. Is there some way to uninstall witout having to format D drive? Thanx to anyone who can help me.

Strawballs 22:46 17 Mar 2006

Go to my computer > D drive find the folder that says windows and delete it

Cindylou 23:19 20 Mar 2006

Hi Strawballs - did as you suggested but I still had it loadup at start with both options. Thank you for your response but it did not work as I had hoped. I guess I will have to go into the bios now - something I had hoped to avoid.

beeuuem 23:45 20 Mar 2006

You need to modify the boot.ini file.

From click here

Modifying the Boot.ini
While you can modify the Boot.ini file using the Startup and Recovery dialog, where you can select the default operating system, change the timeout value, or manually edit the file, the following method uses the command line utility, Bootcfg.exe.
R
emoving an Operating System
At the command prompt, type:
bootcfg /delete /ID#
Where # specifies the boot entry ID that you want to be deleted from the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file (e.g. 2 for the second Operating system that is listed.

Cindylou 21:04 23 Mar 2006

Thanx Beeuuem for your info - on the right track to what I wanted. However, there was one small problem. I followed the instructions to the letter and it came up with an error invalid argument option - 'ID2'.
Type "Bootcfg /Delete /?" for usage. There is no mention of this step in the article. I'm not certain but I expect I put in ID2 where the question mark is. Correct? I haven't come across this before so am looking for guidance. Can you help some more?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:44 23 Mar 2006

With windows folder deleted off D drive, rebbot PC
Start - run - type msconfig click ok

Click on Boot.ini tab and click check boot paths

beeuuem 23:02 23 Mar 2006

Not using a dual boot I can't test the command.
Have you tried putting just '2' where it asks for ID#?

Alternatively, if you are feeling brave you could modify the boot.ini file manually, having saved a copy as in the MS instructions..
Edit the Boot.ini File
To view and edit the Boot.ini file:
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.

Remove the added OS which should be "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect " so that the boot.ini file looks as below.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Cindylou 04:42 24 Mar 2006

Thankyou to all that replied. Special thanx go to Beeuuem. To reply to your first query - yes I did put 2 where the ID#, hash being the 2. But that is when I got the error. All went well and I now have only one operating system,Yay!! Also thanx to Fruit Bat as I did that step first to check the boot paths before I proceeded.Louiezmum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?