How To UnInstall or Rollback WMP10 Please

belcanto 23:33 10 Jul 2005

Hi there-I hope that some one can help-After much trouble with WMP 10-I want to roll back to 9. However I have found that for some reason all of my restore points have gone apart from the 8th of July, which is no good. The radio section in wmp10 is so conpletely cockeyed-for some reason it wont play internet radio in its pres-sets in wmp itself-instead it takes you to the website and starts playing the stream direct. NOT WHAT I WANT!!!

Also in the past it used to ask me if i wanted to play web-enhanced content-now it does not even give a "by your leave" but goes ahead anyway. I am particulary worried about this as as more than one of the pre-sets (boston pete in particular) has given me a virus. So any help or tips you have greatly recieved. Shalafi

bvw in bristol 23:44 10 Jul 2005

Control Panel/Add Remove....check the "Show Updates" box and select wmp10

Mikè 23:52 10 Jul 2005

There is an enhanced content setting in Tools/Options/Security tab.

Kev.Ifty 00:30 11 Jul 2005
  Stuartli 08:47 11 Jul 2005

Microsoft Support details:

click here (read section re Greek version)

belcanto 20:38 11 Jul 2005

Thank you for your help so far-however I have tried to the method suggested to no avail. After win xp tells me it has rolled back wmp10-I still see it in the listings for add/remove programmes. I also seem to have lost all of my restore points by the way. I am still open to offers of help. The other (dreaded) option is to back up all of my data and reformat my hard drive.

Thanks for all of your help so far-keep them coming.

Shalafi

wotbus@ 21:45 11 Jul 2005

Hi. I just typed "remove wmp10" into Google and it came up with loads of interesting stuff. Try this link which I copied from one of the forums I read
Seems you are not alone to want to remove it ;-)
click here

CHAIRLEG 22:25 11 Jul 2005

Just a shot in the dark but i downloaded WMP after i had installed SP2 and had problems with it .I tried roll back and system restore without success so i uninstalled SP2 and it also unistalled WMP 10 with it,and left me with WMP9.I then reinstalled SP2 and later reinstalled WMP10 which touch wood has been ok since.I did this when SP2 was first released so don't no if it will still do the same.

belcanto 17:22 12 Jul 2005

Hi there CHAIRLEG-I cant see where to uninstall SP2, I am using win xp professional btw. I am wondering if I would be better off by just backing up the programmes and settings I want to DVD, then formatting the drive and doing a restore so that way I can get my system working the way it was. I'd still like other opinions though. Thanks-Belcanto

CHAIRLEG 00:38 13 Jul 2005

Hi belcanto. Go to add and remove, at the top of the page there is a box Show Updates tick and scroll to bottom of page and SP2 is there click on SP2 and it gives option to remove.

belcanto 19:47 31 Jul 2005

Just to thank everyone for their help-I decided to reformat my hard drive. This was after doing a back up of course, got wmp9 back and am happy, as my system runs faster now as well.

Cheers-belcanto

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?