how to uninstal wireless network

DJ-Garry 11:33 01 Jun 2007

hi guys. I set up a wireless network for my laptop a while ago but now cannot share files, printer etc and i didn't make it secure so any1 can log on to it i guess and though i'd get rid of it all and start a fresh. i have virgin 2meg bb modem and a single wireless channel router with 4 hardwired sockets, 1 of which the desktop is connected to. I've tried running the diagnostic to get it going but nothing seems to work. what i cant find is how to get rid of the entire network setup so i can start again. can any1 tell me how to fm this please? cheers, Garry.

postie24 16:43 01 Jun 2007

Try to repair the existing wireless set up.
Click start/run ,type in, services.msc ,scroll down to wireless zero and make sure its running.
Then right click on wireless icon in system tray and click repair.
Does it finish repairing the connection? If not what is the reason it gives?

DJ-Garry 18:29 01 Jun 2007

I did that and the network it'self seems fine. I get a full strength signal and good internet speed. It just doesn't seem to want to file and printer share. And also, I need to get the wireless log in secure too so none of my neighbours can log into my net connection.

DJ-Garry 18:31 01 Jun 2007

I've tried also, trying to 'Add Printer' on the laptop and getting it to search for the printer attached to the desktop with no success.

postie24 18:42 01 Jun 2007

Go to my network places, right click, select properties right click your network connection and select properties, tick the file and print sharing box.

To secure your network you need to go into your router homepage,type in your address bar 192.168.xx,the last two digits depends on the router,for instance my BT router is 192.168.1.1
Once you have the router homepage up,enter your username and password,click on wireless/security tab.
Choose WPA encryption,choose a password like these click here
Enter the new password and click ok.
Make a note of new password.
Right click wireless icon in system tray,connect to your network,enter new password,re-enter password and you should now have a security enabled network

Postie24

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?