How to undo dual boot?

Quilljar 11:33 19 May 2007

I managed to set up a partition on my new HD to dual boot Vista and XP. Vista proved so awful (don't ask) that I have now uninstalled it and would like to go back to using XP as my only OS. However, my startup bios still points me to the non existent Vista. How do I undo this dual boot offer and get my machine to boot up straightaway in Win XP?
I have Acronis Disk Director Suite, which helped me set it all up.

MAJ 11:37 19 May 2007

Go to Start > Run and type in:

msconfig

and click OK. Click on the Boot.ini tab and click the "Check all boot paths" option. That should remove the entry for the non-existant Vista install.

Quilljar 14:22 19 May 2007

msconfig did not help at all I am afraid. it merely told me everything was ok. I need to get rid of the partition that I created I think, but how do I do that?

BurrWalnut 15:16 19 May 2007

You need to boot to the Recovery Console (using the XP CD) and run bootcfg.

I think you need the rebuild command, have a look click here;EN-US;291980

Terry Brown 16:33 19 May 2007

Go to Help and Support, type in DISK, select disk management (normally bottom option)follow through to management and fron there you can delete the offending partition, and re-format it.
Terry

daxian 16:41 19 May 2007

hi quilljar.....
i found this site while trying to do the same thing as you ....full details and it works !!!!!
click here

sidecar sid 17:22 19 May 2007

Use VistaBootPRO
Download from here
click here
Once installed click on bootloader and it will give you the option to remove the Vista bootloader.

Quilljar 20:11 19 May 2007

Thanks a lot, your prog did exactly what I wanted. Many thanks to all who replied

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?