how to turn of auto startup after pc shuts down

ROB.R 10:27 29 Jan 2006

i am running xp home and my pc some times shuts its self down and then starts up i want to turn outo startup of how do i do it help please.

Diodorus Siculus 10:31 29 Jan 2006

Right click my computer

properties

advanced

startup / recovery settings

untick auto restart

Graham ® 10:32 29 Jan 2006

Open System in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs:

Write an event to the system log specifies that event information will be recorded in the system log.

Send an administrative alert specifies that your system administrator will be notified.

Automatically reboot specifies that Windows will automatically restart your computer.

Diodorus Siculus 10:33 29 Jan 2006

By the way, this is when there is a failure in the system; if you mean that sometimes when you shut it down, it restarts, then Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter
click here

ROB.R 10:49 29 Jan 2006

no my pc shutsdown when it has been on for about 4 hours i dont know what makes this happen a friend told me that if i run tomany usb connections from the pc it might be drawing to much power of the pc and i sould get a powerd usb hub. will this help me. ps sorry about the spelling

Graham ® 11:14 29 Jan 2006

Then you must look in Event Viewer. Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, System. See if there is an entry for the time it shut down.

We can check the USBs next.

ROB.R 11:29 29 Jan 2006

the only thing that comes up is aol spyware protection failed to start but i dont know if that was after the shutdown

Graham ® 11:56 29 Jan 2006

USBs: right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager.

Locate the USB Root Hubs, right click on one, Properties, Power.

With the devices plugged in and active, you will see how much power (current) is available and being drawn.

ROB.R 12:47 29 Jan 2006

it says that the webcam is using 100 but it is allowed 500 does that help

Graham ® 12:54 29 Jan 2006

That's OK. Have you checked them all?

If no luck there, go Control Panel, Power Options, Power Schemes. See if anything is set to shut down after a period of time.

ROB.R 13:15 29 Jan 2006

yes thats the biggest one all the rest are just 2 does that help ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?