How to turn off 'Auto-detect new Hardware' in XP?

gplatt2000 13:05 30 Jul 2004

Hi all. Im trying to install a printer , using the drivers on the disc tat came with the printer. However, windows xp keeps saying 'new hardware detected', and before I have been given any choice it says 'new hardware succesfully installed'. In the printer's instructions it says if the auto-detect window comes up, click cancel so that no other drivers are installed - however I get no choice and before I know it XP has installed the rpinter!

I think this might be the cause of a problem with the printer, so would like to know, is there a way of turning off auto detect?

Thanks a lot

Graham ® 13:57 30 Jul 2004

I don't think you can turn it off, it's XPs Plug and Play facility. If the printer doesn't work properly, go to Device Manager and opt to update the driver from CD.

Stuartli 13:59 30 Jul 2004

If the printer is actually installed, go to Device Manager, highlight the printer and select Properties.

Install the new driver from the Update Driver tab (you may have to browse to find it from your disk).

Stuartli 14:00 30 Jul 2004

Oops - cross posting...:-)

Chegs ® 14:25 30 Jul 2004

You could always try accessing "Services" in XP and switching off "Windows Image Acquisition" or "Windows Installer" I have similar hassles with XP and my Scanner,the driver will install,but then XP wont let me use it,I have to keep using the Scanner&Camera wizard.

gplatt2000 19:29 30 Jul 2004

I've just checked and already have those services switched off so dont think that could be the problem :(

I'm going to try the thing you recommend about 'update driver', but again not sure if this will work because I did actually finish installing Canon's software AFTER windows had said 'hardware installed', and I can actually see the Canon software in start menyu etc. But I'll give it a go anyway.

Any other suggestions would be great, cheers everyone

gplatt2000 11:25 31 Jul 2004

OK the problem still hasnt gone, so Ive started another topic with a more relevant title - click here

Thanks again everyone

Stuartli 13:23 31 Jul 2004

My Agfa 1212u scanner has been used with both Windows98SE and XP Pro - the only difference is that I to download and install the XP driver.

Strangely enough the 1212P won't work under XP as no driver was written for this OS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?