How to transfer hard drive contents to new one

FatboySlim71 09:56 02 Feb 2007

I have a friend who has a PC, he is wanting to replace his SATA connected hard drive with a 500GB Seagate Barricuda SATA.

He was wanting to know how he would be able to transfer all the contents of his old hard drive on to his new hard drive, the contents would include his operarting system (WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL) and all his other programs etc, basically he wants to be able to transfer everything on to his new hard drive and for everything to work has it did on his old drive, or is this asking too much.

anskyber 10:05 02 Feb 2007

Clone the disc using Acronis True image? click here

anskyber 10:06 02 Feb 2007

click here on cloning

FatboySlim71 10:16 02 Feb 2007

Thanks for the prompt replies.

So to clarify, if my friend used Acronis true image, would his pc work in the exact identical way as it would have done when he had his old hard drive installed. Would all his settings/configurations for his various programs etc work exactly as before.

Batch 14:06 02 Feb 2007

Yes

PaulB2005 14:20 02 Feb 2007

Acronis True Image (which i use myself) can be used two ways.

First of all it can be used to perform a disk clone, which will clone the old drive to the new one.

Secondly you can then use it to make a daily image of the hard drive so that should anything go wrong you can restore back to that image and all will be back EXACTLY as it was at the time the image was made. Even if every file was deleted from the disk.

JayDay 17:33 02 Feb 2007

Use the Seagate DiscWizard click here

I used it to transfer my old hard drive to a new Seagate drive. Absolutely flawless. It copies the old hard drive partitions and formats the new one and copies all the files back. Brilliant bit of software and free.

Graham. 17:50 02 Feb 2007

I believe you get the DiscWizard software with the drive click here

FatboySlim71 19:18 02 Feb 2007

Thank you all very much for the help, you have been very very helpful. I have passed the information on to my friend, he is now going to purchase the Acronis true image program, then once he has this program and has created an image of his old one he will go ahead and purchase his new hard drive. Thank you all very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?