How toCopy Laptop HD on to "normal" HD (Broken lap

KorgY 13:30 16 Aug 2008

Hello,

Yesterday, my laptop finally gave its last, (screen went, and other things) and is now broke. However, i'm fairly sure that the hard drive contnts are still ok (100 gIG HARD DRIVE, Toshiba a100).

I would like to know if there are any cables/devices that allow you to copy the contents from the laptops hard drive to a nonmal hard drive (bear in mind m laptop isn't working)

Gots lots of documents, favourites, pdf files etc that i would like to get back (should have saved them i know:)! I have two desktop pc's, both with SATA drves so wondering if i can swap over to them, or an EXTERNAL drive perhaps?

TIA

KorgY

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:36 16 Aug 2008
  KorgY 13:57 16 Aug 2008

Cheers. forgot to mention my new desktop has an E-sata connector on top of the base unit (cosmos 1000).

Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:03 16 Aug 2008

As above...it will work.

G

KorgY 14:04 16 Aug 2008

OK thanks, don't "DO" ebay though:) - so any idea were i can get this from (maplins/pc word etc?)

Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:18 16 Aug 2008

click here is the device that I use.

G

KorgY 14:20 16 Aug 2008

Korgy

pj123 14:22 16 Aug 2008

This is the one I use. It accepts anything IDE and SATA.

click here

Scroll down to the third one down £22.95 including VAT and Delivery.

jack 14:23 16 Aug 2008

IDE to USB cable with power supply

This connects the drive Data socket to a USB cable and an indepentans power brick for the drive

like this
click here

In addition to 2 normal external drives I have a collection of older drives with stuff on and I simple use a cable like the above to run them when needed

hastelloy 14:31 16 Aug 2008

Assuming its an IDE drive click here

If its SATA click here

KorgY 17:37 16 Aug 2008

I managed to connect it to my older pc (evesham FX-55 system 939 mobo), I took the laptop drive out of the machine, and connected it to my desktop, via a Serial ATA cable (from laptop drive) TO 4 PIN Molax Power supply on my desktop motherboard

Then, there was a smaller socket on the Drive, in which i fit a smaller "8 pin" Sata Cable to the laptop hard drive, and THAT on my Motherboard on my Desktop.

I rebooted, and the drive (toshiba 100 GIG) was detected (like USB is detected and prompted at bottum right screen). All my Drive contents are now accesable:)

Thank you all for the Help (I suppose I had the right cables at the right time, a rarity for me:(

I've got another laptop coming now from PC World. It's a HP Pavilion DV7-1020EA Laptop for the Home and Office. click here.

Cheers

KorgY.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?