How to temporarily disable anti virus and firewall

john bunyan 19:02 21 Oct 2009

In XP, (with AVG 8.5 and Comodo) , how do I temporarily disble them (problem with i Pod download, maybe) . Tried run, services.msc, but when I highlighted AVG the potion to pause etc was greyed out. Want to be able to quickly do this without a PC restart or safe mode etc.

john bunyan 19:02 21 Oct 2009

portion = option!

cocteau48 19:37 21 Oct 2009

Try task manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) to either suspend or kill the process.

p;3 19:48 21 Oct 2009

what problems are you having with the download? You have AV cover and a firewall for a reason so do you really wish to stop them running ?

Stuartli 20:07 21 Oct 2009

Some installations do require that you shut down AV and firewall protection as they misread the intention of the installation - I also temporarily disconnect the modem router for security purposes.

Stuartli 20:08 21 Oct 2009

It's a requirement, for instance, to update the firmware for my DVD rewriter.

Ignore the requirement and the rewriter could well be reduced to a useless optical drive...:-(

john bunyan 22:07 21 Oct 2009

A recent i Pod download b*****ed the device, and others on the forum have found it works better . I know the risks and will be careful. A similar thing happened with the big SP3 download some time ao

john bunyan 22:11 21 Oct 2009

These programmes do not show in task manager, unfortunately.They show as running in Services in Services.msc, but wont let me stop them. I can, of course, disable them on restart but was hoping for a quick way of temporarily stopping them.

Sea Urchin 22:37 21 Oct 2009

For AVG - open user interface and double-click Resident Shield - uncheck box beside Resident Shield Active and click Save Changes.

I don't use Comodo, but maybe right-click Comodo icon in system tray and select Exit and comfirm Yes.

john bunyan 08:12 22 Oct 2009

Thanks very much - will give it a try on Thursday.

cocteau48 11:47 22 Oct 2009

john bunyan

My apologies I have process explorer click here activated to replace task manager.

In process explorer there are separate entries for each of the AVG functions (8 for AVG 9) and any one can be suspended individually.

You may already have it if you have the sysinternals suite installed click here but can be downloaded individually from my first link.

If you start to use it I.m sure you will never go back to the basic task manager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?