How to Submit a Website to Search Engine?

gplatt2000 21:55 02 Sep 2003

Hi there (and sorry if this isnt in the right forum, I wasnt sure). How do I submit a website to a search engine so it can appear in search results (I am aware that I need a lot of good keywords in the meta> tag etc)? Also roughly how mcuh money am I looking at to do this? Do i submit directly or have to go to 'submission' companys? Thanks a lot in advance, Gavin

tbh72 22:05 02 Sep 2003

click here This is an example of the Yahoo submission process. You will notice that you do have two choices & the vast majority of people will use the free service. So it may take alittle longer to get listed, but as you've already pointed out if your website is designed correctly & you endeavour to get external links established etc high ranking's can still be attained.

Most if not all of the major search engines will have the ability to submit to their listings.

The most important thing to consider when paying a company to submit on your behalf is that your website will be submitted to the correct type of search engines, after all you want to make effect use of your visitors.

Jester2K II 22:09 02 Sep 2003

The easy way is to

a) Get your MetaTags filled with lots of info and keywords

b) Get as many relevant words as possible on the index or home page.

Most Search Engines have their own "bots" to find your page. Give it a few days and it'll be there...

Jester2K II 22:10 02 Sep 2003

Oh and never pay....

gplatt2000 22:56 02 Sep 2003

Thanks a lot fr the help people! I will soon register on Yahoo and others I can find. However, I cannot find anywhere on Google to submit my site? Thanks again, Gavin

pinka 22:58 02 Sep 2003

try click here theres a link to a page to register with 1000 search engines and googles on one of those.

gplatt2000 22:58 02 Sep 2003

Oops sorry about that post above, now found it. Should really look properly before posting. Thanks again for your help, Gavin

esl_webber 13:42 03 Sep 2003

Google is a 'proper' search engine (whereas Yahoo is a human run directory), and there is no way to guarentee listing by submittion to DMOZ. There is a whole area of site engine optimisation (SEO), just type it in to Google and look at the results, be careful to not use too many spam/unethical techniques, it could get you blacklisted.
Google ignores meta tags and uses spiders to index.
The best way to get indexed is for other high ranking sites to link to you, you can do this by asking nicely and offering reciprocal links, don't submitt to peole that offer to submit you to thousands of search engines - it is considered spam. have a look here click here
there is a SEO forum for questions that you have and useful info, remember the whole process takes time, best to optimise your site as much as possible submit to yahoo and DMOZ then wait.
good luck

pj123 14:28 06 Sep 2003

The Google spiders found my website within 2 weeks and I never submitted it to anyone. The good news is (I may just be lucky) but it is first in the queue.

steven_frost 22:14 09 Sep 2003

I agree with pj123 google found my site and i never submitted as well so see what happens you never know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?