How to stop Windows Cloud ads from interrupting internet radio

SueTyson 17:09 16 May 2014

Lately, as I've been listening to internet radio (specifically, the Stephanie Miller Show), suddenly, ads have burst in from nowhere for Windows Cloud -- these are loud, intrusive ads that cover up the content of the show I'm trying to listen to.

It's dreadful; I've tried switching stations, but the invasive ads remain. And, when I give up and close the stream I'm listening to, the ads remain, coming from some hidden channel I don't know how control.

Can anyone let me know how to stop these ads, or, if this is coming from Windows Cloud, disable that? This is on a PC, and it happens whether I'm using Windows Media Player, Flash, or another service. I'm not sure if this would happen on a Mac.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

bretsky 09:50 17 May 2014

Have you used this in your browser, I use Opera browser and when you you click "listen live" on the web site, a pop up window notification appears, and when clicked on, the BBC iplayer radio then appears and after a few seconds you get pure signal no adds just pure radio programme content, I'm listening to R2 now. Not sure whether you intend to record these programmes, you can do via d/loading podcasts, I just use it for easy listening, mainly R2 & R4 and sometimes R1.

click here

hths

bretsky 10:50 17 May 2014

Sorry just read your post again, BBC iradio player doesn't apply here, I apologise.

But I am listning to this

click here you get ads but you get that with any commmercial radio station. This again is through their website "live"

hth

yes

Secret-Squirrel 12:40 17 May 2014

" ............suddenly, ads have burst in from nowhere..............I've tried switching stations, but the invasive ads remain. And, when I give up and close the stream I'm listening to, the ads remain................and it happens whether I'm using Windows Media Player, Flash, or another service."

It sounds very much like you could have what's called an "audio adware" infection. Here are a couple of effective free removal tools you should try:

1) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free - click here. When installing, if you're invited to start a free trial of the Pro version, decline it by unticking it. When the scan completes, make sure everything it finds is ticked then remove those threats.

2) HitmanPro - click here. The download links are at the top of the page. If the scan finds anything then the first clean-up is free.

SueTyson 03:06 18 May 2014

Thank you so much for these suggestions; I really appreciate it, and am trying out the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as I type.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?