How to stop file system checking in Windows XP

Charlie Babbage 23:00 21 Jan 2006

Occasionally I have had to turn off the computer using the power button on the system unit rather than using the proper Windows shut down method.

I then get a blue screen with the heading 'Windows XP' and the following text:

'Checking file system on C:
The type of file system is NTFS
Volume label is HP_PAVILION

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check ...'

My question is, how do you cancel the disk check which seems to take forever and a day! I have tried pressing the ESC key but this has no effect.

VoG II 23:12 21 Jan 2006

Shut down using Start > Shut down.

Graham ® 23:50 21 Jan 2006

Check Event Viewer to see what the problem is.

Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, System.

Graham ® 23:53 21 Jan 2006

Also, tell us the circumstances where you need to use the power button.

ACOLYTE 00:40 22 Jan 2006

You should be able to press a button before it starts on the first screen on boot up and this should stop it,you only have 10 seconds i think though.But if you are having shut down errors it may be worthwhile finding out whats causing the errors.

Charlie Babbage 20:54 22 Jan 2006

Thanks to all who replied to my previous post 'How to stop file system checking in Windows XP' - click here

Sorry, I did not make it clear that the blue screen appears almost immediately after switch on and before the desktop appears. I think, therefore, that the solution posted by Acolyte is the one most likely to work - the only problem is the short time limit and I don't know which key to press!

The next problem is that when all the disks have been checked I get the message 'The second NTFS boot sector is unwriteable' before it then goes on to load the desktop normally!

As this disk check is now appearing every time I switch on, it looks as if there is something wrong with the hard disk. Is there any way to find out what is causing the error and to correct it.

keith-236785 22:14 22 Jan 2006

usually, you just need to press the space bar to cancel the file checker. but its that long since i have seen it i cant remeber now. try the space bar or enter.

good luck

pat2068 00:43 23 Jan 2006

on the hp pavilion you can press any key to stop the dick checker it tells you that on the screen leo

keith-236785 07:30 23 Jan 2006

to help, when the screen appears press Pause and it will give you time to read the screen, then press space bar to carry on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017