How should I connect HDDs and CD drives together?

Flying Teddy 19:40 24 Apr 2003

I'd be obliged for opinions on how I should connect the following drives. I have two HDDs, a CD ROM and a CD-RW. My motherboard has two IDE busses (Supermicro P6SBA; P3/700) 256m ram. Running XP Pro.

Presently the two HDDs are on the same bus, and the two CDs on the other as I thought that having a CD drive and a HDD on the same bus was not the done thing, but still everything seems a bit pedestrian. Is there any hope, or do I hear the sound of cash leaving my pocket at great speed?

Thanks in advance...

The PC Doctor 20:07 24 Apr 2003

My set up is; 120gig HD on IDE-0, CD Rom(Master) CDRW(Slave) on IDE-1.

You are right in seperating your HD & CD's onto differnet IDE's as they will only work at the slowest part.

I tried XP on an AMD800 and didn't like it as it was too slow, so your CPU may not be powerful enough for XP. That was with 512RAM.

You also say you have two HD's on IDE-0 is one of them an old slow HD, if so you will find they both run at the speed of the slowest HD.

Try running msconfig and de-selecting anything that runs up on start-up but you only use occassionally. MS Office and OCR software is one which I would de-select. They will load anyway if you need them.

DieSse 20:26 24 Apr 2003

"two HD's on IDE-0 is one of them an old slow HD, if so you will find they both run at the speed of the slowest HD"

Hasn't been true for years - all modern IDE controllers support devices at their full speeds on the same bus.

The conventionally accepted way to do two hard drives and two optical drives is - the two HDDS on the primary channel - the CD-RW as master on the secondary channel, and the other optical drive as slave.

Depending on the processor, 256Mb RAM may make WinXP a bit pedestrian.

Do you have an 80wire cable on your Primary IDE channel - without it your HDDs will probably be running slower than they could (assuming your motherboard supports the faster ATA rates.)

Also making sure you have the correct and latest motherboard drivers can make a huge difference to performance.

MAJ 20:48 24 Apr 2003

Agree with DieSse in what he says above, but if you're going to be doing a lot of "on the fly" burning, a hard drive and the CD-ROM on the primary IDE channel and the other two drives on the secondary channel, might be a better way to go.

As an aside, I can't understand why The PC Doctor had 'problems' running XP on an 800MHz processor with 512MBs of RAM. Your P3/700 processor with 256MBs of RAM (Flying Teddy) is more than sufficient to run XP Pro. I'm running a dual boot system with Win98SE and XP Pro with a 450MHz Processor and 224MBs of RAM and have been doing so for about 18 months and it zips along nicely. Maybe these new processors aren't all they're made out to be, eh? ;-)

The PC Doctor 21:17 24 Apr 2003

DieSse - Ouch, well I am an oldie after all. Mind you on those systems that I have seperated the HD & CD Roms on they do seem to work better. May be my imagination.. lol..

Sorry MAJ I would never suggest going down that same IDE route. I didn't have 'problems' but when you are running a web server, mail server, ftp server and UD on the same PC, things tend to slow down a little. As my CPU is always running at 100% I found that XP ran too slowly for me. As for your set-up, sorry I personnally wouldn't have put XP on it. Having said that I'm really pleased that's it's going well for you :)

MAJ 21:28 24 Apr 2003

Okay, The PC Doctor, that is a lot running all at once but without going into the "well I run this and that plus the other" thing, to say ".....so your CPU may not be powerful enough for XP", is a bit off, I think. Flying Teddy's system is plenty sufficient to run XP quite comfortably, from my experience. You don't want to scare him/her into rushing out to buy upgrades. ;-)

The PC Doctor 22:03 24 Apr 2003

Sorry didn't mean it to come out like that... I was just trying to explain my, it's not for me, view...

I think Flying Teddy has the IDE's set up as they should be and definately doesn't need to go off and buy anything else. I was just suggesting that the problems may lie somewhere else. I would be checking up on what is running that doesn't need to be running. For example if you are using Easy CD as burning software it tends to run Direct CD as a background task. Sorting out the PC so that any unwanted programs only run when required and not all the time may make a big difference to the speed.

I would like to know if the system has always run XP or has it been upgraded to XP?

I've even just realised that I suggested running msconfig (Doh!) fine if you weren't running XP!

I'm running Win2000 and would check out services under admin tools. Maybe someone could tell you how to cut down on those unwanted tasks in XP.....

MAJ 22:17 24 Apr 2003

I agree, Doc, Flying Teddy should find out what's running in the background, maybe do a clean up by clearing some of those larger files by archiving them to CD-R, all the usual stuff. There is a site which tells you about which services can be turned off etc. but it's url escapes me at the moment. XP does have Msconfig, by the way, Doc.

Mastermind 22:39 24 Apr 2003

"I tried XP on an AMD800 and didn't like it as it was too slow, so your CPU may not be powerful enough for XP. That was with 512RAM."

I can't understand this either. I'm running a dual boot system with Windows 98 and Windows XP Professional on a 500MHz CPU and only 128MB of RAM. It copes with any software that I throw at it with ease, including Office XP and Photoshop 7.

The PC Doctor 23:06 24 Apr 2003

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

I Know I Know.....

I was just trying to make the point that with my set-up I didn't like it... I didn't mean that it wouldn't run XP - I've also had XP running on a system similar to yours, no problems at all. It was meant as something to consider....

Please, please stop picking on me, I'm a nice guy really (sniff, sniff) :)

ps. Still don't like it (Doh)

Flying Teddy 23:30 24 Apr 2003

...for your contributions, at least I know I haven't got it totally screwed up. Looks like I should have a deep and meaningful relationship with msconfig!

Ticked as resolved now - g'night all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?