How to share printer access via wireless network?

stugra 16:51 08 Oct 2007

Can anyone please tell me how to share printer access via wireless network?

My main PC is linked to the router via an ethernet cable. This PC has a USB printer. This PC runs Vista.

The secondry PC uses a USB wireless connection to share the internet. This is running XP - this is the machine that I would like to print from.

I tried:
Making the printer shareable on the main PC (seemed to be OK).
Then, on the secondry PC:- Add a printer (next), Select choose network printer (next), Choose browse for printer (next) - but it won't find one??

Many thanks in advance.

Technotiger 16:53 08 Oct 2007
  Technotiger 16:56 08 Oct 2007

What printer do you have? Not all printers are capable of sharing.

stugra 16:58 08 Oct 2007

A Canon Pixma ip3000 - thanks

Technotiger 17:07 08 Oct 2007

Have looked at your link, sorry I have no experience of that particular printer, and Sharing is not mentioned in that link. However, go to Control Panel, click on Printers and Faxes, then right-click on your Printer icon, if that printer allows Sharing, the word Sharing should appear in the drop-down menu. Also have a look at *Raven*'s link, in my link above.

stugra 17:14 08 Oct 2007

Perhaps it cannot be done then - as I have enabled sharing (see above) but cannot detect it.? ?

Technotiger 17:22 08 Oct 2007

Seems that way, but before giving up I would contact Canon and ask them. Canon are very good at handling customer problems.

PalaeoBill 17:26 08 Oct 2007

You also need to ensure that File and Printer sharing is enabled in the firewall of both PC's.

click here

stugra 17:35 08 Oct 2007

PalaeoBill - can you give an idea of what I need to do? Zonealarm is installed on each machine. Much appreciated.

Technotiger 17:38 08 Oct 2007

This might help ...

click here

stugra 18:03 08 Oct 2007

Sadly Technotiger, after I put the IP adresses into Zonealarm, there was no change. I think I will have to look out for a cheap £20 printer to connect directly to this second PC. Thanks all for your help anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?