How to setup my router?

SBAlff 18:59 21 Apr 2015

I recently got fibre optic installed today. The BT engineer set it up with the BT Home Hub 5. However I already have the TP-LINK W8970. The engineer left an openreach modem and said I would be able to use the TP-LINK router using WAN ports. Could anyone specify the correct setup to use? I am unsure whether I need the HH5 and what should be plugged into what etc.

Secret-Squirrel 09:15 22 Apr 2015

"............and said I would be able to use the TP-LINK router using WAN ports. Could anyone specify the correct setup to use?"

The BT engineer was correct.

Using an Ethernet cable, connect the Openreach modem to the LAN/WAN port of the TP-Link, login to it, click on "Quick Setup", choose "Wireless Router Mode" then select "PPoE". The username is [email protected]. There's no need for a password, but if the router insists on one then try password or BT.

Jollyjohn 10:55 23 Apr 2015

From my understanding you will be able to replace the BT HH5 with your TP link router.

If you had a TP Link W9980 - this has a built in VDSL modem and would replace the Openreach modem so you would have 1 box connected instead of 2.

My engineers visit is due on Monday and I will report back how it works in practice.

Jollyjohn 12:03 01 May 2015

Ooops, nearly forgot to report back.

Absolutely fine, can recommend the TP Link Router, so easy to set up.

Smart new faceplate on master socket with built in filter, a bit neater than having a filter in line. Now getting 50MB speeds - wow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone