How Setup A Bussiness Network using 3 PCs

PhatPat 21:03 17 Sep 2007

I am about to set up a network using three computers in a small office. I want to have file sharing as well as printer sharing so that at any computer I can access the same information. I have three brand new Dell computers running XP with Lan Cards and wireless network cards. How can I do this without having to buy a server?

mgmcc 08:59 18 Sep 2007

If you are not using a server, then it will be a "peer-to-peer" network in which all computers have an equal status - there is no "host" and there are no "clients". That doesn't prevent you from storing all of the files that you want to work with in a single computer, although only one computer will be able to open a particular file at a time.

The PCs will need to be connected and, as presumably you want them to have internet access, this will be via a "Router" to which they can connect by ethernet cable or "wirelessly".

If you are running XP *Professional*, then to access a remote computer, you will have to be logged in to the local computer with a Username/Password that matches a User Account set up in the Remote computer. More about this at click here

Any folders that you want to have available over the network should be "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. They should then be displayed in "My Network Places" in each of the networked computers.

mgmcc 09:02 18 Sep 2007

1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places", the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?