how to set up wireless with no cd rom drive

shanfan 14:37 19 Aug 2007

i have 2wire wireless dsl router/modem and a toshiba 3110ct laptop. this computer is old with no cd rom or floppy. forgot we had this but would like to just use it for web browsing. is it worth the trouble or go with another computer. can i use the usb connection and my desktop only.

recap 15:57 19 Aug 2007

You can use Windows to install a wireless connection via USB. Open Control Panel/Wireless Network Setup and follow the wizard. This would of course be from the main computer not the toshiba laptop.

Strawballs 17:12 19 Aug 2007

The laptop needs a Lan network socket to connect to the router even if you got a USB to Lan adapter click here you would need to load the drivers for it.

shanfan 21:16 19 Aug 2007

i would still need a usb wireless adapter afterwards, correct? i want the laptop wireless.-thanks

shanfan 21:16 19 Aug 2007

i would still need a usb wireless adapter afterwards, correct? i want the laptop wireless.-thanks

Strawballs 21:44 19 Aug 2007

Even with a wireless adapter you will still need drivers.

Ashrich 22:15 19 Aug 2007

If the laptop has a LAN socket , you can plug it into the router and download the drivers for the USB adapter from the makers web site and install them that way , although with just a PII 300 and more than likely very little ram I think you will have problems with using wireless on this machine as it won't have enough get up and go .

Ashley

shanfan 23:10 19 Aug 2007

yeah its running xp also, so it may not be worth the hassel, just thought i would try to use it for browsing in the family room while watching barney with my little one. if i do this these are the steps.
1)get ethernet to usb adapter
2)hook up to modem,connect and download drivers
3)use usb wireless adapter for wireless
4)see how fast i can surf
thanks everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?