How to set up a new comp (XP)

symphony 18:03 08 Jan 2008

Hi .
I'm looking for step-by-step basic guidance on what to do when I've removed my new computer (when it's delivered) from its box. I'll install XP (if the suppliers haven't already). Question is, then what?
Please keep it simple.
P.S. comp will be used for lots of internet
Many thanks.

Pamy 18:56 08 Jan 2008

You realy should have established with the supplier what would be installed and what you had to do.They may supply a chart or instructions on how to connect it all up. As you say it will be used for a lot of internet so you will nead some way to connect to the internet, is this in hand.

ambra4 19:01 08 Jan 2008

Check this site

click here

Technotiger 19:30 08 Jan 2008

Normally a new computer will come ready to connect up and use - full instructions are usually included, and those I have seen have been pretty easy to follow, even for a novice.

birdface 19:37 08 Jan 2008

I am with Virgin It was just a matter of plugging in the ethernet cable to the computer and modem and then start it up.I had to switch off the modem and then back on again.But it worked no problem.

symphony 20:12 08 Jan 2008

It's reassuring to hear there should be setup guide from my supplier.
I have got a new setup driver disc for the internet connection and I have a modem Pamy.
It sounds as though it's going to be very simple-in theory..
I imagine I'll need to configure XP in some way such as for my internet connections??

Technotiger 20:24 08 Jan 2008

configure XP in some way such as for my internet connections??

That is what your Setup Disc is for ... usually just a case of following on-screen instructions after putting the disc in.

Quiller. 20:41 08 Jan 2008

Have you a link to the computer?

Sorry to be a fly in the ointment

But most new computers are shipped with Vista and some older modems do not work with Vista. They require new drivers.

So if you could post a link to the computer and possibly the make and model of the modem.

My only advice is to plan it out as you are,once the system is connected up ok and your fave programs are installed and subsequent ms updates done.
Take an image with acronis and you can restore back to it,the pc will be then restored to peak condition in about 10 mins.
If you are then subject to a spyware/virus a simple image restore is a zip compared to numerous scans. This will be of immense benefit to you.

symphony 09:31 10 Jan 2008

quiller- It's an XP windows system so no Vista compatibility issues.

*Raven* Sounds like good advice. I hadn't heard of acronis. I'm off to find out what it is.

If your pc has a seagate hard disc or your external dive is seagate,you can use seagate disc tools a trimmed down version of acronis free of charge.
click here
acronis
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone