How to separate Data from the O.S. and Progs.

six-h 23:06 27 Jul 2009

Another little one!
I've done a clean install of XP on my lappy and partitioned the disk into two drives "C" and "D".
Intending O.S. and Progs to live in splendid isolation on "C" drive, whilst my data (all the "My" folders)happily inhabit "D" drive!

Problem is, the "My" folders for "All users", "Current User" and "Name", are all contained in the "Documents and settings" folder on the "C" drive.

I recall reading somewhere that these particular folders have some unique features, and you can't just move them around any old way, it must be done correctly.

Can someone clarify this for me please?

woodchip 23:25 27 Jul 2009

You can create a Folder on the D:\ partition and save to that. When clicking "Save As" choose where you want to put them from drop down box

six-h 23:32 27 Jul 2009

woodchip; That's what I want to avoid.
I've done that on my PC running Vista, and every blessed porgramme, when I want to "Save" opens a window showing the folder on the "C" drive.
It doesn't sound much, but it grinds you down constantly having to navigate to the other "Drive" and down to the folder you want to target.
Sometimes when you're tired or not paying attention, you mistakenly accept the offered location, then days later spend hours tracking down misplaced files!!

woodchip 23:34 27 Jul 2009

Why not put a shortcut in send to folder this should then be in the same place as where you save under File

Forum Editor 23:36 27 Jul 2009

if you simply want to create new folders on as different drive, but if you want to move the 'My documents' folder itself the process is - as you guessed - a little more involved.

1. Click on the Start button and right-click on My Documents.If there's no 'My Documents' folder in your start menu, right-click on the icon on your desktop.

2. Select Properties.

3. Select "Move" and navigate to your D: drive.

4. Select the drive letter and click on "Make New Folder." Enter "My Documents" (without the quotes) as the folder name and press Enter and then OK.

5. Windows XP will ask you whether you want to move your documents; click 'Yes'.

You can still use the 'My documents' icon on your desktop to access the folder because you've moved the target - the icon will now point to the D: drive location.

woodchip 23:41 27 Jul 2009

Like this press Win Key plus E key, this opens Windows Explorer Click on +Documents and Settings then you name should be there or person who uses the computer click on the +again the "Send to" it should expand to let you see programs etc what you can send to. Now open your D:\ Drive the Folder you want to send to, right click it and drag to the above Send To on C:\ drive then when you let go the button choose create short cut.

Thats it, you can do this as many times as you want

six-h 23:47 27 Jul 2009

Thanks FE,
Got as far as saying yes to the move in instruction No 5, half way through the transfer, I get a message saying : -
"Are you sure you want to move the system file sisagp.cat ?"
Response, ..I've no idea!.....why do I suspect there may be further questions once this one is answered! lol
Can you advise please?

six-h 23:52 27 Jul 2009

F.E. scrub that, just googled the file name, and it's likely it's one of several driver files I've temporarily stored there for reference.
Hope so anyway!

Forum Editor 00:02 28 Jul 2009

is an AGP graphics card driver.

six-h 00:09 28 Jul 2009

F.E. Thanks Excellent! job done.

woodchip, Thanks for that but followed F.E.'s advice, and all's well.

six-h 00:15 28 Jul 2009

F.E. yes, good job I clicked "yes to all" since I had just tidied away a full set of drivers that I'd just used to do a clean install with from an unbranded OEM disk.
I never thought it would sense that these were system files.
Sometimes windows is just too clever for my own good! ROTFL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?