How to send files over a network?

Ricky_Singh 13:05 14 Jul 2006

Hi i just managed to setup up my wireless network. I got my desktop pc connected to the router and my laptop has a wireless card built in. However i was wondering what would be the fastest way of sending files over from my desktop to laptop with out emailing files. Surely there must be a easier way. Note that my desktop hasnt got a network card, its just connected to the router. Also note is a belkin router. Also can anyone explain what the speeds mean, i.e 802.11a/b/g? Does that mean my internet connection will go faster. If not how does the internet connetion divide it self between eth my laptop and desktop. I got 1mb per sec connection at the moment. is it better to get 54mbps or 108 mbps and what does these speeds mean?

sean-278262 15:05 14 Jul 2006

The speeds thing you wont notice a difference if you get 54 or 108 for your internet connection it however will make a difference if you transfer large files, I would personally take whatever is cheapest as for a home network you dont need to rush transfering anything like you would in business and plus it adds cost

I never was very good at picturing setups but as far as I can see you just put the files you want into the shared folders and the other PC can copy them from there by going into the shared folders file. That is about the easiest way to do it. You can always get a program like switchback to copy the files for you automatically but it wont be that configurable.

As for the other question about which standard is best click here may be of interest.

ade.h 16:27 14 Jul 2006

Dulpicated in Networking click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?