How to send files over a network?

Ricky_Singh 13:04 14 Jul 2006

Hi i just managed to setup up my wireless network. I got my desktop pc connected to the router and my laptop has a wireless card built in. However i was wondering what would be the fastest way of sending files over from my desktop to laptop with out emailing files. Surely there must be a easier way. Note that my desktop hasnt got a network card, its just connected to the router. Also note is a belkin router. Also can anyone explain what the speeds mean, i.e 802.11a/b/g? Does that mean my internet connection will go faster. If not how does the internet connetion divide it self between eth my laptop and desktop. I got 1mb per sec connection at the moment. is it better to get 54mbps or 108 mbps and what does these speeds mean?

ade.h 15:13 14 Jul 2006

802.11a - the original 54Mbit standard, long since dropped.
802.11b - A widely adopted 11Mbit standard.
802.11g - the current (for now) 54Mbit standard.

"Does that mean my internet connection will go faster?"
No. That's not possible.

It is divided by a contention system.

A boosted system is unnecessary from a speed viewpoint unless you stream large multimedia files across the LAN or move large quantities of files at a time.

Can I take it from your email comment that you have set up any shares on each client yet?

Smiler 17:06 14 Jul 2006

Open "My Network Places" then click on the laptop drive you wish to copy to, then drag & drop the files to the drive from windows explorer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?