How to see my Firefox/Thunderbird version without downloading?

polymath 17:47 01 Dec 2014

I've always clicked Help - About to see which version I have, but recently I haven't been able to do that without the program instantly starting a download of a later version (if any). Anyone know how to find out without triggering these downloads?

lotvic 18:06 01 Dec 2014

Have a look at the setting you have in Tools > Options > Update tab. Mine is set for 'Never check for updates' and I am able to do the Tools > Help > About, without problem.

lotvic 18:11 01 Dec 2014

Update tab is under the 'Advanced' tab FF and Thunderbird.

I'm thinking I ought to change mine to 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to install'

Batch 19:22 01 Dec 2014

Bit of a pain, I know, but for tbird go to:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\ and right click thunderbird.exe, select Properties and go to the Details tab.

I guess similar works for Firefox.

polymath 21:46 01 Dec 2014

Thank you both! I've now set both of them to 'check but let me choose whether to install' (again!). I chose that from the start I think, and I'm sure my settings used to survive updates. I guess Mozilla has got more nannyish (I like to decide when to do downloads of any size, as they can make everything else grind to a halt if it's a slow connection/busy time.

I can't test the setting yet (as everything's up-to-date!), but I'm sure it's done the trick.

lotvic 23:06 01 Dec 2014

I've changed my settings to same :) as you say, time will tell...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?