how to save weblinks

ashdav 00:26 11 Jan 2006

I want to create a folder in My Documents which will contain active links to websites much like Favourites in IE or Bookmarks in Firefox.
Anybody know how to do this.
I want to save them as links not text so that they will open the browser and connect.

Skyver 00:30 11 Jan 2006

From IE, right click when you are on a page you wish to bookmark and select Create Shortcut, copy the resultant shortcut from the desktop to your folder. You'll need an extension if you want to do the same thing in Firefox.

Skyver 00:31 11 Jan 2006

This one to be precise click here

ashdav 00:33 11 Jan 2006

I can do it from Firefox by copying the link from bookmarks and right click/create shortcut in the folder I want to save them to but it's longwinded.
I wondered if there was a quicker way.

ashdav 00:35 11 Jan 2006

What I really meant was a lazier way.

Skyver 00:35 11 Jan 2006

I agree it's a bit clunky, especially for lots of links.

Skyver 00:37 11 Jan 2006

It may not be ideal, but perhaps you could use the `PlainOldFavourites` extension for Firefox to include your IE Favourites, add bookmarks to a specific folder there and create a shortcut to that folder in My Documents.

Skyver 00:38 11 Jan 2006

PlainOldFavorites as it appears to be called in my extension list.

ashdav 00:45 11 Jan 2006

Thanks for the tip.I'll explore further.
The problem is that using the create shortcut method results in a IE link being created when I'm actually
using Firefox.
What I'm actually tryind to do is create a folder of links that I can copy and give to my bro without having to copy and edit my entire Bookmarks folder.
It's a bit too big to do that.

Skyver 00:51 11 Jan 2006

Export your bookmarks as HTML and edit out all your own stuff, I can see where you're coming from but I don't know of any extensions that will make it easier. How about creating a new Firefox profile specifically for the links you want to send and exporting /those/ bookmarks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?