how to save virgin archive folders

Newuser3477 22:06 30 Mar 2015

I have saved important emails in the Virgin Media email archive folder. I would like to save these files externally for safety say on a memory stick. I can send the archive folder to a folder on the desktop but I am unable to transfer/copy to an external drive. Should this be possible and if so how?Thanks Peter

lotvic 22:46 30 Mar 2015

'Virgin Media email archive folder', that is on Webmail?

'send the archive folder to a folder on the desktop' May I ask how you intend to open and read these emails?

You will require an email client program such as Office Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. Do you have such a program installed on your pc?

Newuser3477 17:53 01 Apr 2015

Thanks for response. The archive is on Virgin web mail but I have been able to send it to desktop. For some reason I cannot drag this to an external drive. Clearly Outlook is expensive. Is Thunderbird free of charge if not any other suggestions in your etc Peter

lotvic 18:34 01 Apr 2015

Yes Mozilla Thunderbird email client is a Free program. Download from Mozilla.org ClickHere you can collect and send your Virgin emails with it, without logging on to your Virgin Webmail. When setting up account if you choose the IMAP instead of POP3 account it will sync your email folders with the ones on your Webmail.

Another thing you can do is save a copy of an email (or as many as you want) to a folder in My Documents or anywhere else you wish. Each copy of email is saved as an .eml file that can then be opened independently by double clicking (or rightclick and choose open). Your default email client will open and display the .eml email.

I think you will have to start from scratch as the Archive folder you have saved on your desktop, I imagine will be difficult to work with (I've no experience with that scenario).

robin_x 19:44 01 Apr 2015

I found I had been trapped by AOL some years ago.

To retrieve archived cabinets with their system requires all existing emails to be deleted, the relevant archive to be uploaded, grab what you want, then long restore process.

I looked long and hard for a reputable 3rd party extractor but didn't find one.

So I wrote them all off and started using Thunderbird.

The Offline Settings allow all email folders and attachments to be stored locally on your computer as well as on the server.

Everything is stored in the Thunderbird Profile folders and can be backed up regularly by copying wherever you want.

lotvic 20:55 01 Apr 2015

robin_x, Thank goodness Virgin Archive looks to be easier than your experience with AOL. I'm presuming that Newuser3477 has a copy of the Archive folder on his desktop and the original is still there in Webmail.

ClickHere for how to move webmail Archive folder emails back to the Inbox (link is result of a google search - I presume the help site is global)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017