How to save a video to play on DVD/TV

rawprawn 11:36 25 Sep 2005

My friend has just transfered a video from his camera to a DVD CD using Windows Movie Maker. It will play OK on his computer (Media Player) but not on the DVD he uses with his TV. can someone spell out what he is doing wrong? Thanks.

alexgray104 11:42 25 Sep 2005

don't know the exact faults and such, but on the cheap DVD player upstairs copies won't play, but they do on the more expensive one downstairs. What type of DVD is he using?

rawprawn 11:49 25 Sep 2005

I'm not sure I understand you.To clarify, The DVD will play on his computer (upstairs) and will not play on his DVD which is connected to his TV (downstairs) I don't know what make either player is.

Bagsey 12:43 25 Sep 2005

This a problem similar to that we all faced years ago with video format. Betamax, Vhs etc. Now we have DVD+ DVD- to complicate our lives. So he needs to check which discs his player is happy with and try to find a compramise. EG. my DVD recorder uses DVD+ but will also play SVCD but not vcd. My brothers wont play svcd but will play vcd. I got a program the other day that can record most file types and have found that it is good. A free limited trial version is available at
click here . The cost of registering this progam if you want to get the full version is $30 US.

rawprawn 13:03 25 Sep 2005

I have the feeling that we are saving the dvd in the wrong format.I have tried to save one of my own videos using Win Movie Maker in PAL should I be saving as NTSC. My DVD in my computer is DVD + but I am not sure of the DVD which is connected to my TV.
also when I have put together a movie and ask Win Movie Maker "To save to CD" I get a response that No Recordable CD device is detected

rawprawn 13:05 25 Sep 2005

I have had a look at your link and I will try it later, but I already have Nero. Should I try making and burning the movie using Nero?

David4637 13:19 25 Sep 2005

I don't think MM will save in a VOB file format (MPEG2) hence you can not make a DVD without converting the output from a AVI or WVM to MPEG2. The format of the DVD (+R or -R) is another issue to be resolved on the DVD Player. David

rawprawn 13:46 25 Sep 2005

Thanks for that, do you know a program that will? for example I wonder if Bagsey's link will.
I

rawprawn 14:13 25 Sep 2005

I have just downloaded DVD PixPlay and had a quick try, I got it to play on the TV DVD Ok but it put music on over the sound. Unfortunately I won't be able to spend any more time on it this afternoon but I will have another go next week. Thank you for your help.

rawprawn 18:38 25 Sep 2005

Just had another go, and I have got rid of the background music, but it is not playing the original soundtrack (Silent Movie). Is this because it is a "slideshow" program? or am I going wrong? Can you assist?

Bagsey 22:46 25 Sep 2005

I think that the sound track will need to be converted to mp3 format. And that is a foreign feild to me. Have you looked at the DVD Pixplay forum on click here
The forum moderator is very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?