How to retrive data from H/d in dead comp? help!!

rickf 15:01 23 Feb 2008

HI All,
I was trying to help a friend as her comp wouldn't boot up. Windows XP would not start up, a very old comp anyway. I then 1)installed a new H/d for her with XP.This booted into windows as pernormal. 2) I put in the original H/d with her data in as slave in an attempt to retrieve her data in my docs. Bios recognised it as a slave drive but windows wouldn't boot up. This original has the OS XP on it of course as it `was the master before developing the fault.Thinking that it wouldn't boot up 'cause there are 2 OS in there.Once I removed the slave everything was good. Any suggestions much appreciated.

woodchip 15:03 23 Feb 2008

Take the drive out and connect as a Slave in another comp, or put it in a Hard Drive USB caddy to retrive info off it

rickf 15:09 23 Feb 2008

thanks woodchip. I did put it in as a slave as per my thread but then wons wouldn't boot up. Your idea of using a caddy is a good one willtry that.

woodchip 15:11 23 Feb 2008

If it stopped the Computer booting, Check how BIOS sees the drive if it will not go to BIOS. The Drive is Shot

rickf 15:27 23 Feb 2008

Bios sees the drive. I have checked 1st thing.But your idea of using an external is a good one. Will try it tonight when I see her.

rickf 23:15 23 Feb 2008

Right I'll now close this. Tried the H/D in a caddy and it does not show up as an drive in My Comp. I think is gone to H/D heaven and all data has gone down below. So I told my friend next time, Back UP, Back UP etc.,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?