how to restrict internet access for kids

mickeyfinagin 14:19 16 Sep 2007

Hi, I am setting up my computer with XP Pro at the moment.
I am setting up 3 accounts for my kids and one for myself, I want to be able to restrict what sites/ material they can view, I want my account to be able to view anything.
Is there a way to do this and could somebody give me simple step by step instructions.
thans

sorry cant provide the step by step,but heres something to start off your reearch into the subject.
click here

smy13 20:53 18 Sep 2007

*THE RAVEN*
Has pointed you in the right direction with K9 I've used it for a few weeks now it's easy to set up, it's go a really light foot print and will allow you to monitor as well as block what your Kids are doing. the only drawback is the fact that it does not monitor IM clients at present, however this is being worked upon

Strawballs 22:17 18 Sep 2007

click here

click here

I have used older versions of cyber patrol in the past and it was quite effective.

woodchip 22:45 18 Sep 2007

One way would be cheap. Remove the modem

harps1h 14:10 19 Sep 2007

if you want to maintain a watch on messenger on tje tools tab you can direct a log to be kept of all conversations to a file/location of your choosing. i do this without their knowledge and before any bleeding heart liberalists start crying, these logs are never read, except whnever there is an absolute need. like everybody children are entitled to their privacy, but only a limited amount for their own safety. also keep the computer in a room where there is traffic, they are then less likely to visit undesirable sites. also try net nanny click here

Strawballs 22:05 19 Sep 2007

Also if you get McAfee internet suit apart from the AV Firewall and spam filter there is a privacy program where you out in the age of each user and it will limit them accordinly

Dazza40 21:48 20 Sep 2007

do the users have to be logged in to messenger for the options in messenger to apply?

Cheers

harps1h 23:15 20 Sep 2007

you need to logon to that users msn account and in the options tab look for the listing messages. there you will see the check box. in there you can also set the path to save the messages eg: C:my document/my received files/messages (or whatever you want to call the file. you need to set it up in the kids accounts but you can direct the file path to your documents available only in your account. also make sure the kids accounts are as a "limited" account and you as "administrator". using this also stops them from making any accidental system changes etc, but gives you the right to alter settings. to stup accounts go to start/control panel/user accounts. there is a wizard there to take you through the process. i would advise against passwording the childrens for now but definately put one on your account that they will not know. post back if you need anymore info

harps

harps1h 23:17 20 Sep 2007

meant to say that once the path has been set the messages will recorded all the time and you can read them through notepad or word

FreeCell 17:41 21 Sep 2007

Have a look at Crawler Parental Control click here

It's free and offers most of the features you find in NetNanny.

See reviews of Parental Control software
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone