How to restore user accounts and give admin rights?

jelsonljl 13:48 21 Oct 2014

RUNS ON WINDOWS XP. So i had an admin account called X and a guest account called Y for my younger brother. So yesterday he asked me to change his account to 1 with admin rights as he could not download his games. So i went in cntrl panel and changed it to administrative rights but at the same time, my account X disappeared along with my stuff and games and his sole account Y remained there with his stuff. So how can i restore it back before changing the rights and how can i change his account to administrator without losing my stuff? Please help quickly as i do my school work on that pc. Thanks in advance.

Jollyjohn 14:16 21 Oct 2014

Look in C: drive under "Documents and settings" There will be a folder called All Users, folder username X and folder username Y

To access the files in the folders you must be the appropriate username..

If those folders are not there then you have deleted them - unlikely as it is a 3 step process and can only be done by an administrator.

If you go Start - log Out - what appears on the screen, how many users?

jelsonljl 00:02 22 Oct 2014

Oh thank god i had a back up ready so its all back to normal now, so how can i change Y into an acc with admin rights while retaining X? Thanks for your help.

Jollyjohn 11:06 22 Oct 2014

Start - control panel - users - What is currently listed here?

jelsonljl 06:47 23 Oct 2014

Acc X which has administrator under it and Y which has limited account under it and guest which is not set.

Jollyjohn 13:52 23 Oct 2014

Assumiong you are logged in as Account X Administrator you should be able to click on account Y and select Change Account Type. Select Administrator instead of limited then close control panel.

This will not affect account X.

Go to start and log out of X and log in as Y and you should be able to install stuff.

You can use Fast User Switching - but it is better to Log out rather than leaving your account open in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?