How to restore the familiar XP shutdown buttons?

MuDelta 23:30 24 Feb 2008

Following a serious incident I reinstalled XP successfully except that at shut down instead of getting the three familiar buttons (standby, shutdown, restart) I get a window of with a drop-down menu from which you have to select one of the above and then click on okay. This is much less convenient than the familiar buttons. How can I restore these?

Stuartli 00:23 25 Feb 2008

I use XP Pro in Classic Start mode - I think the standard way offers the different Shutdown scenario.

Right click on the Start button>Properties.

Stuartli 00:27 25 Feb 2008

Also see Shutdown Issues at:

click here

Stuartli 00:29 25 Feb 2008

..and:

click here

MuDelta 17:58 25 Feb 2008

Stewartli,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to turn off the shutdown etc messages, just to revert to the buttons I know and love. As I read it onecomputerguy's method turns them all off.

I tried the Esato method but it would not work because I have blocked the logon window.

I struggle on!

MDM

VoG II 18:08 25 Feb 2008

1) Click on Start
2) Click on Control Panel
3) Double-click on User Accounts
4) Click on "Change the way users log on or off"
5) Tick "Use the Welcome Screen"

Stuartli 19:25 25 Feb 2008

I wasn't suggesting you turn off the Shutdown messages, just the fact that, IIRC, the layout is different for the Classic (drop down menu) to the Standard appearance.

MuDelta 15:53 28 Feb 2008

Sorted!

The problem was not that "use the welcome screen" was not ticked but that "use faster switching" was ticked. When I unticked it all was light!

Thanks all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017