How to restart a 10-year old dot matrix printer?

stlucia 19:47 30 Dec 2006

I have an Epson LX80 dot matrix printer which has been unused for 10 years and which I'd like to use again. Before I plug it in to see if it still works, I'd like to be sure it's not siezed up and will blow a fuse, circuit board, or motor.

I propose to do a full visual check, and try and move things by hand. I was thinking that WD40 spray might be the right way to make sure things are free before I switch on.

Any thoughts or warnings, please?

Staz 19:52 30 Dec 2006

lol

Graham. 19:53 30 Dec 2006

Check the fuse in the plug. Many still have an original 13 Amp fuse. Start with a 3 Amp, so that it will be the first to blow if summat is up.

Graham. 19:54 30 Dec 2006
  Stuartli 21:43 30 Dec 2006

Dot matrix printers were pretty robust and it should work OK providing the ink ribbon still has some life in it. You can still buy a print cartridge; one source is:

click here

My best mate still uses an old Star dot matrix for printing out pages where a copy is also required, which would be impossible with his HP inkjet.

CALDOW 21:49 30 Dec 2006

Recently i did the same thing except it was a Epsom LX800 no problems other than getting some new ribbons,see no reason why the Lx80 wont work in their day were very good well made printers. Jim

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 30 Dec 2006

Plug in but do not connect to PC.

There should be a method of doing a self test on the printer by pressing a coplle of buttons, try holding the Line feed button as you turn on the power switch.

dewskit 21:54 30 Dec 2006

I am still using the first printer I ever bought (A Taxan 1080 9 pin Dot Matrix) as it provides the cheapest way of printing receipts off.

Occasionally it stalls, caused by the printhead not moving freely, and I find a wipe down of the bars on which the printhead slides then a little ThreeinOne oil applied, and the printhead manually pushed up and down a few times soon brings it back into action.
Dried out lubricants are probably the most likely source of problems and a similar procedure may get you going.

Good luck!
Tony

Staz 02:34 31 Dec 2006

"Check the fuse in the plug. Many still have an original 13 Amp fuse. Start with a 3 Amp, so that it will be the first to blow if summat is up."- That's the most absurd advice ever!

stlucia 08:42 31 Dec 2006

Thanks for the input, guys. I haven't tried it yet -- it's a project for sometime next week.

But what I'll do is (a) put a smaller fuse in if it's got the standard 13A one, (b) check things are moving freely, (c) clean with alcohol and re-oil with light oil (3 in 1) as recommended by the manual, if necessary. I'll then do the power on self test routine without connection to my PC. I've got a couple of new, unopened, ribbons which hopefully haven't dried out.

The reason I'm wary is that I burned out the motor in an 8mm projector that had been in storage for about the same time, and which initially seemed to work when I switched it on.

I'll report back on progress, thanks.

wee eddie 08:44 31 Dec 2006

I'd drop down to 500ma if you have one available.

It's sage advice from Graham who probably knows well that a blown fuse is much cheaper than a burned-out motor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?