How to reset Netgear DG834G Router?

pj1664 11:15 07 Nov 2006

Hi all, I was trying to help my nephew over the phone. As soon as he entered the 26 digit wep key and press apply, the page came up saying that the page cannot be displayed and now when I try to ga back to the router page it keeps comng up with a no connection page. How can I get back in to configure the router. Is there a reset for this configuration. I am using centerino with win xp. The router page is 192.168.0.1. Any help would be much appreciated.

mgmcc 11:37 07 Nov 2006

I don't know how your nephew was connected to the router while making changes to the wireless settings, but it must be done with a *WIRED* ethernet connection.

If you connect wirelessly and change wireless settings, as soon as the settings are saved the wireless connection will crash.

keith-236785 11:51 07 Nov 2006

ditto mgmcc

settings must be changed using the wired connection, a reset of the router should be somewhere in the configuration settings (restore factory defaults) i seem to remember it is called

the correct number for the setup page for your router is 192.168.1.1, not 192.168.0.1

you will then need your username & password

good luck

pj1664 12:13 07 Nov 2006

I have the laptop and the router here now and I amtrying to connect with a wire but its not picking up connection, it sees it as a wireless connection but can't connect to it. I have checked al the 26 digit wep key and they all match up with the lap top and the router but itd just not connecting.

oldbeefer2 12:26 07 Nov 2006

If you go to Netgear's homepage, you can download a full manual for the router (only 170 pages) - it's in pdf format, so doesn't take long - excerpt here:

Restoring the Default Configuration and Password
This section explains how to restore the factory default configuration settings, changing the
router’s administration password to password and the IP address to 192.168.0.1. You can erase the
current configuration and restore factory defaults in two ways:
• Use the Erase function of the Web Configuration Manager (see “Backing Up, Restoring, or
Erasing Your Settings” on page 6-1).
• Use the Default Reset button on the rear panel of the router. Use this method for cases when
the administration password or IP address is not known.
Using the Reset button
To restore the factory default configuration settings without knowing the administration password
or IP address, you must use the Default Reset button on the rear panel of the router.
1. Press and hold the Default Reset button until the Test LED turns on (about 10 seconds).
2. Release the Default Reset button and wait for the router to reboot.ng. All the advice you could need is there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?