How to reset IP address help please thanks

bof:) 14:52 27 Oct 2006

Hi all,

had problems connecting friends Netgear wireless router to internet and during my discussions with Netgear technical help they altered the IP address on my friends laptop to that of the router.

(It was decided that the wireless router was faulty so was disconnected)

Now if I connect the laptop dirctly to the NTL modem by cable, all I get is a 'page not found' message using both IE and Firefox.

So, how can I reset the IP address on the laptop?

I did think that XPhome detected any internet connections automatically but is this laptop still 'looking for' the wireless router?

Can I look on my friends desktop pc which also uses the same NTL modem (and connects to internet fine) and copy the IP settings I find on there?

If so where do I find them?

How are they altered on the laptop?

Many thanks,

Mike

(the laptop is at friends house so it may take a day or two to reply...thankyou)

mgmcc 17:28 27 Oct 2006

The laptop may have been given a fixed IP address in the same subnet (IP address range) as the router itself, probably a 192.168.0.x address.

Open the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the properties sheet that opens, select the two options:

- Obtain an IP address automatically

- Obtain DNS Server address automatically

The adapter will then get its addresses automatically by DHCP directly from the ISP

postie24 20:42 27 Oct 2006

Hi bof:) another way to renew ip address is to right click on the wireless icon in taskbar and repair the connection.Ip address will be repaired automatically

bof:) 19:58 28 Oct 2006

Hi both, many thanks for your help.

Its greatly appreciated.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?