? How to - 'Reset Avast to defaults', please?

AroundAgain 16:03 19 Jun 2015
Answered

Hi

How do I re-set Avast! AV back to default/original settings, please?

A newly replaced Motherboard (by tech chap thru Dell) seems to have caused Avast! to not like websites, ie google.co.uk, my google calendar, saying 'not trusted sites' etc.

Also, emails won't go as window comes up to say 'Unknown Identity', 'Not trusted because not verified ...' etc

Thunderbird (v 38*) and Firefox take a really long time to open too, now. All since the replacement of Motherboard.

Everything worked well prior to the Motherboard being replaced, I have to say. The only reason for it being replaced was because of an issue re the Product Key for Windows! Yes, seriously! Must have been a cheaper solution, all things considered !!!

I've spoken to Dell and their solution is to re-install Windows 8. That does rather seem like taking a sledge hammer to push in a small nail, in my opinion.

Any suggestions, please? As usual, any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

john bunyan 16:16 19 Jun 2015

I would download free Avast from Filehippo to a folder (not auto install), then uninstall existing one then run the install from the folder. Why do you think the problem is Avast? Do you have other "live" anti malware such as Malawarebytes Premium or WOT?

rdave13 16:24 19 Jun 2015

I would check the date and time and also check device manager for drivers. I assume the replacement mobo was identical?

AroundAgain 17:05 19 Jun 2015

Hi

Thanks for responses. I assumed it was likely to be a problem with Avast seeing it appeared to be security stuff affected.

No, I don't have any other 'live' security stuff running, only Avast (free). I do have Malwarebytes installed and run manually at intervals.

Date and time is correct. I've no idea if the M/b is identical, I'm afraid.

Aitchbee 17:51 19 Jun 2015

try uninstalling Avast with avastclear.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 19 Jun 2015

Avast doesn't care what hardware your running on, changing the motherboard should not have made a difference.

Right click the Avast symbol in your browser (top right of address bar), select options

click reset to default.

Aitchbee 17:54 19 Jun 2015

ps I had trouble with my avast account password but after using avastclear I was able to reset it. [paid for version]

rdave13 17:55 19 Jun 2015

If there are no drivers missing then try john bunyan's suggestion.

This is the Avast removal tool, click here, and run in safe mode. That will enable Defender for now. See if it helps. If ok then reinstall Avast again. Might have got corrupted.

AroundAgain 14:44 26 Jun 2015
Answer

Hi guys

Apologies for the delay in response here. Thanks very much to all of you for your help and advice. I tried various things that you suggested but can't remember what now. Nothing seemed to help. I got so fed up with it, in the end, and let Dell help me reinstall Windows etc.

Brilliant, I thought, so started installing drivers etc and then it crashed totally! Again, Dell helped to sort out and it seems it's ok now. I've just got required software to download now. Phew! This issue seemed like a marathon, for some reason.

PC is playing up too but I'm going to keep nursing it along just now. I'll attack the PC when I feel more up to the challenge!

So, thanks very much for all your help and advice. As always, it's very much appreciated

Cheers Julie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone