how to replace xp with 7 on Acer aspire netbook

rigbycourt 09:25 23 Apr 2010

hi my wife has Acer Aspire netbook with xp installed but no optical drive.she is worried over over lack of future xp support.I have hp laptop with win7 installed and hard copy of 7.how can we install on Acer?as pensioners really appreciate help Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:01 23 Apr 2010

Your windows & license will not allow you to install on another machine while the first is still working i.e. one machine at a time for a retail copy of windows, OEM licenses die with the machine.

Don't worry about lack of support for XP from MS there will be enough support from forums like this to keep XP going for the life of the laptop. :0)

Woolwell 14:26 23 Apr 2010

XP support is currently planned to stop in April 2014 that is if you have SP3. Her netbook by then will be quite old and may be coming to the end of its life. There may be other alternatives by then.

ame 14:36 23 Apr 2010

In any case, XP is probably better than Win7 on your netbook, as is is more basic and needs less resources (e.g. RAM) to run well.

User-312386 14:43 23 Apr 2010

Windows 7 is good on a laptop and PC, but i would not recommend on a net book unless its the 7 basic edition(not home premium). Stay with xp on the netbook, as said, its alot less resource hungry!s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?