How to replace CMOS battery in Advent 6412 laptop?

wrinklysteve 12:17 12 Aug 2007

Greetings. Can anyone help me with this please. A friend has asked me to help with a failing Advent 6412DVD laptop. Clearly the CMOS battery is spent - no problem there. I have the correct replacement. What I need to know is, can I safely remove the cooling fan assembly which obstructs the replacement of the battery? I think I'm OK on resetting details when battery is replaced. TIA.

Pamy 12:52 12 Aug 2007

Does your friend have the manual?

wrinklysteve 17:30 12 Aug 2007

Good question, Pamy, but if she had I might not have posted the query! I have hunted for a copy of the manual on the Net but haven't found one or the instructions I need.

paul€ 17:55 12 Aug 2007

have you had a look under the cpu heatsink cover?
click here

Pamy 18:03 12 Aug 2007

In that case if it were me I would remove what ever and replace battery.

wrinklysteve 19:11 12 Aug 2007

Thank you both very much. Just a couple of minutes ago I found the answer on an Advent site I'd missed. The instructions were to remove the fan assembly (4 screws) when the processor is hot, removing in a twisting motion to break the seal of whatever gunge had been used to fix the fan to the chip. The battery becomes reachable for removal and replacement. I hope this can help someone else.
Thanks again, query is now resolved.

birdface 19:15 12 Aug 2007

Now I know nothing about laptops,But I did read that even if your CMOS battery was dead that your computer should work Ok without it,You would just have problems with time and date,True or not,I know not.

wrinklysteve 19:20 12 Aug 2007

Yes, buteman, you are correct. F1 gets past the time and date message OK. The laptop is reluctant to power up Windows until several attempts have been made and the machine has "warmed up". I don't know why this is but I will get a competent laptop man interested in it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?