How to remove Vista antimalware

howard64 11:36 08 Apr 2010

I have been given a laptop to sort out. It has the Vista antimalware virus on it. Does anyone know how to effectively remove this? I have tried various things including modifying the registry but it will not allow. It is stopping all internet access and has disabled the installed macafee stuff and microsoft security centre. Any advise welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Sea Urchin 11:42 08 Apr 2010

Two possible methods

click here

click here

birdface 11:52 08 Apr 2010

Another.

click here

birdface 12:00 08 Apr 2010

Another fairly good program that will run when others fail is Cure It,Maybe worth a try if nothing else works.

click here

Another favorite of mine is Trojan Remover.
it is a pay for program but you get a 30 day trial and it will remove anything that it finds.
If it asks for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan.

click here

howard64 12:09 08 Apr 2010

now have got superantispyware running and it has found several trojans. Thanks for replies will try suggestions when the prog finishes.

birdface 12:38 08 Apr 2010

If you have Superantispyware running and you can now download and update the rest of your security programs.
Malwarebytes will probably do if you can download the free version update it and run it in safe mode.

howard64 17:34 08 Apr 2010

have now run both super and malwarebytes - I had to download them to another pc and take them across with a usb drive. The pc is now I thing clear and it is now installing ms updates. Thanks to all for replies I will report back when I am sure.

howard64 14:43 09 Apr 2010

The laptop now appears fine and I have returned it to the owner. Thanks again all.

reeni27 12:08 18 Apr 2010

Just wanted to say a big thank you to buteman for the trojan remover suggestion - it did the trick and removed everything

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017