How to remove names from the Start menu

I have win XP Home and IE8.I know in the Start menu (msconfig)the program can be unticked so that it doesn`t load but how does one actually remove the name from the list? I have uninstalled a program and want to remove its name from this list.

MAJ 13:57 27 Mar 2009

Ccleaner > Tools > Startup button, tick entry you want to remove and click Delete. click here

Clapton is God 13:57 27 Mar 2009

If you untick it in msconfig it will effectively be 'removed' from the list.

You may continue to see a program appearing in the msconfig list even though you've uninstalled that program. This is because msconfig is still picking up that program from remnants in the registry.

A thorough clean with CCleaner may help.

rawprawn 14:04 27 Mar 2009

Here is the tool you need
click here

BurrWalnut 14:04 27 Mar 2009

To remove unwanted registry entries for programs that have been uninstalled, go to Start > Run, type regedit, press Enter and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

Expand the Uninstall key (in the left pane) and scroll down to find the unwanted entry then right-click and delete it. To make sure you delete the correct entry, check the name in the right pane. DisplayName contains the name that is listed in Add or Remove Programs and UninstallString contains the name of the program that is normally used to do the uninstall.

hiwatt 14:06 27 Mar 2009

This is a handy wee program for doing exactly what you need.This removes all entries that remain in msconfig.click here

JanetO 14:30 27 Mar 2009

I think he meant: right-click the item on start menu and chose 'remove from the list'.

rawprawn 14:35 27 Mar 2009

Great minds ;))

hiwatt 14:44 27 Mar 2009

Sorry.I missed that you had already posted that :)

Thanks everyone - all done and dusted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?