how to remove Limewire

naineysman 22:05 20 Nov 2009

can you help me remove Limewire from a Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Basic and anything 'hanging' on that may cause 'problems'

ambra4 23:25 20 Nov 2009

Forget Microsoft Add/Remove program as it leave files in the registry and on the hard

drive which will causes problem uninstalling and reinstalling programs use this program

Revo Uninstaller

click here

If the windows request message to reboot appear DO NOT click the NO button Revo will

now search the registry and hard drive for any files that is not required, just click the

Select All button and the Delete button if any left over files are found once the “Finish”

button appear you can than reboot the computer

naineysman 23:34 20 Nov 2009

I'll try that but I cant see limewire in the Add/Remove list at the moment.

Input Overload 03:51 21 Nov 2009

Download registry Crawler, click here one of the most useful tools I have. It's a 30 day free trial with as I remember no limitations. Tick everything in the left hand pane & do a search for 'Limewire'. Delete all entries.

Reboot.

Look in Program files & In & My Documents in XP & Users in Vista with hidden files showing off for any 'Limewire' folders if you find them delete.
You should be free of it now.

Strawballs 04:34 21 Nov 2009

You would be better off removing the user account for the kids that installed it (usually how it get's there) then it can't be put back on after removal

Technotiger 08:46 21 Nov 2009

Ambra4 - this could cause a slight, but important, misunderstanding - this should read *DO NOT reboot, click the NO button, let Revo continue* .a missing comma can make all the difference!

I always word Revo Instructions thus ...

During the un-install process, you may be asked if you want to re-start your computer, DO NOT re-start at this point, let Revo continue. You will eventually get the option to Select All and to Delete - DO SO. You will be given the same options a second time, again DO SO, do not be picky, just accept all that Revo chooses.
After clicking on Finish, re-start your computer.

naineysman 09:10 21 Nov 2009

As usual, top marks to all, the Laptop is like new again, thanks.

Technotiger 09:26 21 Nov 2009

Hi, glad yours is now sorted - however, there are several different suggestions above, it might help others in the future, if you said just what worked for you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?