How to remove- extra o/s select lines in POST

jack 08:11 23 Jul 2009

Visited one of my flock last week to investigate his troubles- decided it was time to do a repair or reinstall.
However as XP was doing its stuff- and asking for this box or that to be clicked a voice over my should was persistantly causing a distraction asking about what about this or that.
In the end I said 'I think I shall have to take the machine home'
This I did connected it to the KV switch and the installation went in like dream.
But the net result of the earlier distractions meant that in POST there appears two 'Window's' versions and even a Win95 start disk to click on.

Of course the alternatives do not work- and I would like to be able to remove them with the new set up in situ
Any thoughts

VoG II 08:28 23 Jul 2009

Start, Run, enter

msconfig

and click OK.

On the BOOT.INI tab click Check all boot paths - I think that you should get the option to remove any invalid ones.

jack 09:10 23 Jul 2009

I have the same situation on my machine- but know of course which to select - so I did a test-

The msconfig/boot.initab
does indeed list the two o/s- the line however makes them both read the same simply labeled 'Boot 1 and Boot 2.
So if and when I get back to the 'repaired machine[first we need electricity] how can I differentiate between that boot Windows Xp 1 or 2?

lotvic 09:24 23 Jul 2009

perhaps you could you make boot floppy(s) with the alternatives on and see which works?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?