How to remove Compaq Armada 1750 power on password

cyberphobic 07:10 22 May 2008

I recently bought a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop very cheaply, it was accurately described as having a power on password, which I thought I would be able to remove - but so far I haven't been able to! I have trawled the internet for advice and so far tried the following - disconnected the CMOS battery and all power for several hours, then reconnected which should reset the BIOS and also depressing the power button for four seconds which should also reset the BIOS. I could break the laptop up and easily get back twice what I paid for it, but firstly it goes against my principles to to do that if there is a chance of getting it going and secondly I love a challenge! Can anyone help me with this please?

Diodorus Siculus 08:43 22 May 2008

click here

Have you read this thread? Some good stuff about default passwords et.

Diodorus Siculus 08:46 22 May 2008

found it here click here

hold down function key....start up....start pressing f11 repeatedly etc

cyberphobic 21:20 22 May 2008

Many thanks for your responses, they are much appreciated. I should, perhaps, have stated, that I am very familiar with this model of laptop. Pressing the Fn button when starting the machine and tapping the f11 button is the standard way of "resetting" the BIOS on this laptop. This was the first thing I tried to eleiminate the power on password - unfortunately it doesn't do the trick on this occasion! What I am surprised by is that removing all power and the CMOS battery for 24 hourrs still doesn't remove the password requirement! Any further suggestions will be most welcome!

MAT ALAN 21:26 22 May 2008

think you will find it is embedded on a chip on your MOBO..
options..

take off chip and get it cracked..
buy new MOBO...

or click here

try this...

Ashrich 22:26 22 May 2008

There will be a backdoor password that the engineers use when they are returned passworded , a lot of these are documented . Found a way , click here .

Ashley

cyberphobic 19:02 23 May 2008

Problem sorted, Thanks to you all for your help, the post by Ashrich was the one which nailed it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?