How to rectify this problem for my friend please.

julius44 19:07 19 Sep 2010

Hello everyone, and good evening to u all. Okay here we go: My friend has a problem on his laptop , and i'm hoping that someone can give good advice here please. He had a virus or something on his laptop, which is a Dell laptop, 1525 Inspirion. He tried to restore it to factory settings but he said that there were some problems, and he couldn't do it.
So this is what he did: He found the copy of his operating system on a CD that was given to him with the laptop(windows vista 32-bit)...he inserted the disk, it asked him some questions, he just clikced, etc, and it started to run. It finished, and siad it would restart laptop. He did as he was told.
Windows started up again...BUT he said the DEll LOGO screen didn't appear...but windows started up okay, but he says that now he gets an error message after about 10-15mins that his windows copy aint genuine, and it seems that ALL his DELL drivers are gone.
He's not sure whether he has the dell drivers cd, so ive told him to go to the dell website and select his model laptop from here
:click here=

Ive told him to select the ALL category, and that he'll have to download EVERY single driver(59 in total)..and then see what happens then
Have i given him the CORRECT advice though??? Or is there another way pls??? urgent answers pls, many thanks

birdface 19:22 19 Sep 2010

Was he using Vista when the computer was running if not his copy will be illegal.
If he was using vista there should be a sticker with a keycode on his laptop just use that keycode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:41 19 Sep 2010

Dell Recovery Instructions
1. Reboot, and press Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo.
2. The Dell™ PC Restore by Symantec screen will come up.
3. Select "Restore" or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
4. if you wish to continue, click "Confirm", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
5. When the utility is finished, click "Finish", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.

julius44 20:57 19 Sep 2010

Hi buteman, his copy can't be illegal, as he purchased a the laptop from comet. but u mentioned a keycode....i don't understand, keycode to do what???

Hi fruitbat.....he also mentiond that he had a problem using the Dell system restore, that it didn't seem to be working

birdface 22:36 19 Sep 2010

On the laptop there may be a COA sticker from Microsoft which tells you what verion of Windows you should have on your computer, it also Contains the actual genuine keycode that you need to use.
Now I am not sure if you get that with Dell but you get it with others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?