How to recover from a failed resolution

billyliv 10:36 22 Feb 2004

Hi, I did a minor repair to a friends machine (Win XP) using my monitor from one of my (Win ME) machines. Putting the monitor back to the Win ME machine I get a dialogue box saying 'If you can see this windows has successfully initialised your graphic adapter, To change the settings go into control panel etc. etc. The white flashing cursor is underneath the dialogue box but no matter which combination of keys I use it just sits there staring at me. I can hear the welcoming music on completion of boot up but this dialogue box still stares at me. I have tried entering set up when I first switch on but all I get is this dialogue box. Any Ideas? Cheers, Bill

Rayuk 11:02 22 Feb 2004

Have you tried booting into safe mode.Keep pressing F8 on start up

Ben.s 11:10 22 Feb 2004

hey,could u tell us more information,
1)when does this message appear
2)what does the message say in full

billyliv 11:35 22 Feb 2004

Hi, This has turned out to be my fault. I had plugged the monitor into the onboard graphics port that was faulty. A long time ago I had to instal a PCI graphics card to overcome the onboard fault. It was only when I spotted the empty PCI grahics port that I realised what I had done. (Must be getting old, Memory failing)Thanks for taking the time to respond. cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017