How to recover data from a SATA drive

JayDay 19:27 05 Dec 2008

I have a desktop PC with a single SATA drive. The disk is on its way out as I get an error message during boot up warning me to backup my data. Unfortunately I can't boot into Windows to recover the data.

I have a new drive, I removed the old drive and installed the new one with out any problems. I now want to try and recover some data from the old drive.

I tried installing it and thought it would be like the old IDE drives where I could just boot up using the new drive and copy the data across from the old drive. However when I switch on the PC it asks me to set up a raid configuration.

How do I get round this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 05 Dec 2008

Remove old drive
Fit new drive in its place (first SATA port)
Install windows on new drive
If necessary install SATA raid drivers at the F6 prompt
Fit old drive in second SATA port
Your new installation should see both drives
and you can then transfer data to new drive.

JayDay 20:33 05 Dec 2008

Tried that fruit bat. When I booted the PC I got the error message about the drive about to fail and then couldn't boot into windows. It was as if the machine was trying to boot from the old drive and not the new one.

The new drive was on SATA 0 and the old drive on SATA 2 with the DVD ROM on SATA 1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 05 Dec 2008

Check BIOS for first boot device.

JayDay 08:56 06 Dec 2008

The first boot device is the new drive, when I boot the machine with the old drive installed the PC hangs during boot up, when I disconnect the old drive everything starts up fine.

I have now purchased a USB enclosure for the old drive and see if that works.

JayDay 15:04 12 Dec 2008

Success, I installed the old drive in the USB enclosure, booted into windows and managed to recover all my documents using Recuva by Piriform.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie