How is this possible?

wee eddie 20:55 01 Nov 2003

A statement from Stuartli:

Tiscali, for one, has been taking up to eight or nine days to deliver some of my e-mails..

I thought that these things were more or less instantaneous, so long as then other end was available to receive?

knobler 21:06 01 Nov 2003

I'm with Tiscali and haven't had any problems - have you checked your Outlook Express settings? - try going to the Tiscali homepage and accessing your e-mail via there. If still no joy try phoning or e-mailing the helpdesk - best of luck though!!!!

Valvegrid 21:09 01 Nov 2003

He could well be right. Sometimes when I send myself an email from work, at our local NHS hospital, and it has taken 2 days to arrive at home here.

Regards Paul.

graham√ 21:10 01 Nov 2003

A good way to test is to Email yourself.

powerless 21:11 01 Nov 2003

So there is an ISP problem or a connection problem along the way.

Think "Royal Mail" and "currently".

graham√ 21:14 01 Nov 2003

:-) crossed in post.

It may be that corporate systems hold Emails for various reasons, virus scan for example. Or maybe until a quiet period.

wee eddie 21:22 01 Nov 2003

They obviously don't take time off!

Maybe they do - Tiscali Tours to Benidorm!

This matter is shaking some of my beliefs.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:11 01 Nov 2003

If the server thinks that there is a network problem or it believes the network to be too busy it will store emails on it's site. They will then be sent as soon a sthe problem/jam is sorted. All emails are kept by ISPs for 6 years in case the Spooks or Plod wants to finger you for crimes etc. ;-).

G

Audeal 00:48 02 Nov 2003

Maybe MI5 are on to you and reading your mail. I hope you havn't been a bad boy.

flecc 01:03 02 Nov 2003

My Tiscali mail is OK, mostly near instantaneous.

spuds 12:22 02 Nov 2003

Tiscali have stated over the past week, that they are experiencing email circulation problems. They have now issued a message, stating that all is back to normal. I have had a recent email from Tiscali, advicing that my email box is becoming full.So perhaps I am one of the culprits causing server blockages, and adding to Tiscali's burden.Normally I have had no problems with sending or receiving [worldwide]emails of late.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone