How to Partition my Hard Drive?

Waaaclan 19:05 26 Aug 2009

I have a 1 terabyte hard drive and I want to partition it. I listen to music, watch movies, edit video, do text based work, and art with my computer. I heard smaller partitions run better so I wanted to know exactly how I should partition my hard drive and how much space I should allot to each partition. I am using one OS, but I want a few gigabytes in an empty partition in case I later install another OS. Does anyone know how to do this? Should I install my applications in the same partition as my OS or as my data?

woodchip 19:18 26 Aug 2009

If you are going to put the OS on the Drive I would make it smaller than the other partitions as it will be easier to backup and faster to backup and restore. About 40 to 50Gb for OS rest divided as you like. Me I would split the rest in half. I use Acronis Disc Director Suit 10 for Partitioning etc and Acronis True Image for Backups and Restoring

Belatucadrus 00:13 27 Aug 2009
  Migwell 00:20 27 Aug 2009

With modern hard drives there is no need to partition. I find it a pointles exercise.

On my laptop, which is not my main computer, I have removed the partition which sets up automaticly when you go back to reinstste as new factory condition, I find it not only confusing but a waste of time & space .

tullie 06:54 27 Aug 2009

In my opinion also,its pointless.

kalignorgna 08:41 27 Aug 2009

go to click here and search for EASEUS Partition Manager 3.0 Home Edition (might be a newer version then this now) or download Partition magic, also you can download hiren's boot cd and use the Partition tools on the disk.

Batch 08:41 27 Aug 2009

Horses for courses.

I have:

C: OS & Programs

D: Volataile data (emails, favourites, documents, address book etc.)

E: Stable (i.e. less volatile) Dat (photos, music, videos).

C: is relatively small (12GB in my case, but with a 1TB drive you could easily make larger).

D: Is even smaller

E: Is the bulk of it.

This approach facilitates fast easy partition image backups and restores (in my case using Acronis True Image). C & D get done frequently (and takes a few minutes at most), E much less so ('cos I don't change it much).

It also means that the partitions can be quickly and easily restored without affecting the content of the other partitions. I.e. I can restore C: in a matter of minutes (for example in the case of a software update / install screwing things up), without losing any of most up to date data.

Other than the above, I don't know of any justifications for smaller partitions running better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?